Tuesday, February 1, 2011

He is Reflected in the Rain Drops.

Posted by Picasa
I woke up to a gray Nashville morning with big fat raindrops rolling down the the panes of my dorm room window. Dreary, cold, wet weather has enveloped the city today.

For those of you that know me well, you know that regardless of what's going on...I'd probably rather be outside. In a list of my favorite things in the world, things like sunshine, green grass, blue skies, stars, sunsets, rope swings, mountains, and lakes all rank at the very top. I'm enthralled by the beauty of creation and I love to get out and enjoy it in any way that I can whether that's taking long hikes, driving scenic back roads instead of interstate, or simply going for a walk in the neighborhood after dinner.

So when the icky winter weather rolled back into Nashville and washed away the pretty sunshine I'd enjoyed this weekend, I ended up in a dreary mood that matched the dreary weather. I'd like to make a public apology to anyone who may have had the misfortune of encountering me this morning--because in between the headache that I had and the messy rainy day, I was not a happy camper. To make a bad situation even worse, I had a class that met in a building as far away from my dorm as you can get on Vanderbilt's campus. Despite my raincoat, my umbrella, and my rain boots, within a few minutes of stepping outside, today's weather combination of wind and rain had joined forces to douse me from head to toe.

At first I was incredibly frustrated...but God was gracious enough to use the rain this morning as a means to draw my eyes to Him. As I trudged across campus with my hair soaked and the relentless rain drops washing my make-up down my cheeks, I was suddenly reminded of Psalm 51:2 in which David cries out to God: "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!"

In that moment, my attitude toward that rainy Nashville day changed completely. And rather than viewing the rain as a nuisance and a frustration, I saw each drop falling from the sky as a physical parable for the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me. In the same way that the rain drops slid down my cheeks, washing the make-up from my face, I am soaked in grace to the extent that each of my faults, my imperfections, and my sins are washed away completely. And just as the rain that fell from the sky this morning will bring new life to the trees and grass and flowers around campus, I am now a new creation because I have been washed and redeemed by the blood of Christ.

Today, I was reminded that my God is the creator of both rainy days and sunny days--and that there is beauty in everyday because my Lord has made it. I was reminded that my God is sovereign when things are going well, and my God is sovereign when they aren't. And most importantly, I was reminded that regardless of the challenges that tomorrow may bring that everything will be okay because I have been washed--I have been redeemed.

So today I'll rejoice in the rain (and tomorrow I'll rejoice in the snow that's headed for Nashville) for each day is a reflection of the beauty and goodness of my Creator, and is therefore worthy to be celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment